Greenhavens Network (Seaford to Telscombe)
Community Group Constitution
1. NAME The name of the group shall be Greenhavens Network hereafter referred to as the Group.
2. OBJECTIVES The objectives of the Group are to:
- Encourage greater awareness of Greenhavens parks and green spaces, along the coastal strip stretching from Seaford to Telscombe as a resource and amenity for the people of Lewes District residents and visitors.
- Support official and voluntary action, to assist volunteers with the management/training they require to improve and protect parks/green spaces and ensure the greatest possible access and use by Lewes District residents and visitors.
- Act as a collective voice for all open space groups across the coastal strip that stretches from Seaford to Telscombe when working for change and/or improvement whilst striving to support the local authority’s green strategies.
- Raise general awareness of any challenges facing Greenhavens parks and green spaces and work in partnership with authorities to overcome them.
- Promote parks and green spaces as a setting for biodiversity enhancement and health and wellbeing hubs. Including the establishment and encouragement of ‘Friends Groups’ to sustain their green spaces for themselves and future generations.
- Assist in raising standards in the quality and regeneration of these areas by helping to secure the necessary funding to support volunteers in this sector.
3. PARTICIPATION IN THE FORUM is open to all groups associated with parks and green spaces in Lewes District Greenhavens area who support the above objectives and who are willing to adhere to the rules of the Group.
- Where it is considered membership would be detrimental to the aims and activities of the Group, the Management Committee shall have the power to refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a meeting.
- Members shall have the right to appeal via an independent adjudicator determined by mutual agreement of the management committee.
- Lewes District Council officers and other agencies will be invited to participate and work with the Group.
- The Group shall be committed to the principles of equal opportunity and shall oppose any discrimination.
4. MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
a. The Group will be managed by a committee of no less than four (4) people including the Chair, the Treasurer and the Secretary and no more than fifteen (15) people in total, who must be at least 18 years of age. Members will be elected for a period of up to one year, but may be re-elected at the Group’s AGM.
b. All Committee Members will be elected by those members attending the inaugural General Meeting and will serve until the next Annual General Meeting. However the Committee is empowered to co-opt additional non-voting members at any time if a specific need arises.
c. The Committee will be responsible for pursuing the aims of the Forum and may take such actions, as it deems necessary in pursuit of those aims, including decisions on any matters not covered by this Constitution.
d. This Constitution shall be ratified at the first General Meeting before formal election of the group’s Committee.
e. It shall be the responsibility of the Chairperson to chair all meetings or a designated deputy in his/her absence. All meetings must be minuted and accessible to interested parties within two weeks of the next agreed meeting.
f. The committee shall have the power to set up sub-groups and work parties as deemed necessary who shall be accountable to the committee.
g. A council representative will be invited to all committee meetings.
The Group shall have a committee consisting of:-
Plus any additional officers the Group deems necessary to carry out designated activities.
a. The Forum shall meet at least annually. Meetings shall enable the Group to discuss actions and monitor progress to date, and to consider future developments.
b. All members shall be given at least seven (7) days notice of when a meeting is due to take place, unless it is deemed as an emergency.
c. At least 3 committee members must attend in order for a meeting to take place.
d. The committee shall arrange its Annual General Meeting within 3 months of the end of the financial year, giving at least 21 days’ notice, for the purpose of:
- Receiving the Annual Report of the Committee
- Receiving agreed accounts
- Electing a new committee, and Voting if necessary, on proposals to amend the constitution
e. The quorum at an Annual General Meeting shall be 8 member groups
f. All groups are entitled to one vote at the AGM. Voting shall be made by a show of hands on a majority basis. In the case of a tied vote, the Chairperson or an appointed deputy shall make the final decision.
g. The Group shall hold an Annual General Meeting (AGM) at not more than 15-month intervals.
a. Any money acquired by the Group, through the Treasurer including donations, contributions and bequests, shall be held in an account operated by the Management Committee in the name of the Group. All funds must be applied to the objectives of the Group and for no other purpose.
b. Bank accounts shall be opened in the name of the Group. Any deeds, cheques etc. relating to the Group’s bank account shall be signed by at least two (2) of the following committee members: Chairperson; Treasurer; Secretary.
c. Any income/expenditure shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who will be accountable to ensure funds are utilised effectively and that the Group stays within budget. An annual financial statement shall be presented at the AGM.
8. ALTERATION OF THE CONSTITUTION
a. Any changes to this constitution must be agreed by a majority vote at a general meeting.
b. Amendment requests to this constitution or dissolution of the Group must be conveyed to the Secretary formally in writing. The Secretary and other officers shall then decide on the date of a special general meeting to discuss such proposals, giving members twenty one days (21 days) notice.
The Group may be dissolved if deemed necessary by the members in a majority of groups at a special meeting. Any assets or remaining funds after debts have been paid shall be returned to their providers or transferred to local charities or similar groups at the discretion of the Management Committee.
This constitution was adopted at the meeting held on Wednesday 20th June 2018.
This constitution was signed on Tuesday 4th September 2018 at the inaugural committee.